Akron Public Schools recognizes the important role community and parent volunteers play in its students' education. Indeed, it takes many hands to shape a child, and the effect is nowhere as apparent as in the results of the wonderful programs represented by our volunteers. They bring a wealth of knowledge, service and compassion to our schools.
The APS Appreciation Awards, sponsored by the Akron Board of Education and the Business Advisory Council, recognize those who have gone above and beyond in their involvement and contributions. Candidates are nominated by APS personnel in the categories of business, civic organization, individual, PTA and senior citizen.
Judging is completed by a panel based on the following criteria:
- longevity of service
- promotion of student achievement
- enhancement of school/community relations
- strengthening of school or district resources
- promotion of a positive school climate
- support of teacher effectiveness