About

 

  • The Buchtel Community Learning Center opened to students on August 29, 2012.
  • Our mission is to educate and provide a safe learning environment where students are empowered to be innovative, life-long learners, and prepared to contribute in a global society.
  • Our students have made some of the greatest gains of all APS high schools. Each year our graduates earn thousands of dollars in scholarships. 
  • Buchtel CLC has strong partnerships within the community, including:
  • The Akron Realist Association, which, since 2004, has taken part in Reality Check, a program that gives our 10th grade students real-world experiences.

 

History 

The Buchtel Community Learning Center is named in honor of John R. Buchtel (1822-1892), one of Akron's leading industrialists, business leaders and philanthropists. He was also one of the early inventors in the rubber company of Dr. Benjamin F. Goodrich. Buchtel is best remembered for his role in the founding of the Universalist college originally named in his honor, which today is The University of Akron. Over the course of his life, Buchtel and his wife contributed more than $500,000 to the college.  The new building was completed in fall of 2012 and opened to students on August 29, 2012.  The original high school building was constructed in 1931 and underwent numerous renovations in 1955, 1971 and 1984, when the gymnasium was added.