In 1917, Otis C. Hatton came to Akron to teach at Central High School. During the ensuing years, he served successively as principal of Glover Elementary School, Mason Elementary Teachers' College Observation School and East High School. In 1934, he was appointed assistant superintendent, a post he held until 1942 when he was named superintendent. During his 13-year superintendency, Hatton guided the Akron school system from the curtailments of the Depression years. Among his more important accomplishments were the reopening of kindergartens, the re-establishment of the full-length school day for high school students and the launching of an extensive building construction program.