The first Lawndale School was a one-room frame building on Wilbeth Road. The school was named for an area of Kenmore known as the Lawndale Allotment. In 1912, a four-room brick school was erected on 25th Street. Because of the rapid increase in enrollment, additions were added to Lawndale in 1916 and 1922. In 1929, when Kenmore was annexed to the city of Akron, Lawndale became part of Akron Public Schools.